- 2 very ripe large plantains*, peeled and cut on an angle into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 organic Stevia packet
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- pinch cayenne (or chili powder)
- 8-10 yellow or white corn tortillas or taco shells
FOR SERVING optional
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and sliced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Black olives
- Green onions
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- Hot sauce / salsa
- Lime juice
- Vegan sour cream
- Add black beans to a small saucepan over medium heat and add spices. Once it reaches a low boil, turn heat to low to keep warm, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and chop plantains, add to a mixing bowl and toss with spices. Heat large skillet and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Once pan is hot, add plantains and spread into a single layer. Sauté on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip and sauté on the other side for 2-3 minutes more. Turn down heat if browning too quickly. You’re going for a caramelized effect. Set aside.
- In the meantime, prep desired toppings and warm tortillas by wrapping in a damp cloth or paper towel and warming in the microwave for 20 seconds (or place tortillas directly on an oven rack for 1-2 minutes in a 350 degree F oven).
- To assemble, top tortillas with black beans, plantains and desired toppings.
- Best when fresh. Serves 3-4 generously.
Want help with vegan cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your vegan pantry?
Check out our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $4.99!
This post was written by Admin