2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
½ cup red or green lentils
1 cup oats
8 oz mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
1/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon organic ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce (Bragg’s brand)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick each sweet potato several times with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until very soft to the touch. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium pot, cook the lentils per package instructions. Add oats 5 minutes before the lentils are finished.
- While the lentils and oats are cooking, spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray and add the onions and garlic. Cook until soft (about 3-5 minutes). Add the chopped mushrooms, carrot and celery, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat to medium and add the lentil and oat mixture, followed by the vegetable stock, wine, tomato paste, soy sauce, paprika, parsley, and a few grinds of black pepper. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel sweet potatoes with your hands and place in a medium bowl. Use a fork to mash them into a smooth paste and season to taste with pepper.
- Evenly spread the lentil mixture into a 9-x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon the sweet potato mixture on top and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling at the edges.
- Both the filling and the roasted sweet potatoes can be made ahead and refrigerated up to 2 days before assembling and baking.
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $4.99!
Categorized in: Recipes
This post was written by GreenAdmin