Servings: 4 Cal: 196 Carbs: 35g Fat: 3g Protein: 9g
Non-stick cooking spray
1 cup green lentils cooked according to package instructions
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 4 tablespoons water, mix, let sit 15 min)
1 medium onion, diced
½ package of mushrooms, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 roma tomatoes, diced and cooked down to a sauce consistency in sauce pan
1 cup instant or rolled oats
1 tablespoon fresh basil
2 tablespoons reduced sugar ketchup
2 tablespoons bbq sauce
Spices: 1 teaspoon of each – black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook lentils, drain excess water and partially mash lentils with potato masher in mixing bowl
- Make flax eggs, set aside
- On medium high heat, sautee onion and garlic in pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, basil
- Stir in the oats and lentils until mixed. Add flax eggs, tomato sauce, spices.
- After mixture is combined, remove from heat, let cool for 5-10 minutes. Place in blender or food processor (it’s okay to still have larger pieces. This will just help combine your loaf ingredients making it more sturdy for cutting)
- Spoon mixture into loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Top with the bbq sauce and ketchup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the top of the loaf is dry, firm and golden brown. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Run sharp knife around edges of the pan then flip the loaf over onto serving platter.
*NOTE: If the loaf is not easily coming out of the pan, cut into slices and remove each slice individually.
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $4.99!
This post was written by GreenAdmin