Servings: 4 Cal: 59 Carb: 8g Fat: 2g Protein: 3g
- 9 rounds of eggplant, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Sea salt
- 5 cups unsweetened nut milk (almond or coconut)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup medium salsa, slightly drained
- 4 tablespoons green chilis
- Smoked paprika and hot sauce for added color and flavor upon serving.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Slice eggplant into thin rounds just under 1/2 inch. Sprinkle both sides with sea salt. and arrange on a plate with paper towel to help draw out some of the moisture. Let set for 10 minutes, then wipe off excess salt with paper towel.
- Arrange the dried eggplant rounds on a baking sheet lightly spritzed with non-stick spray.
- Broil on high for 4-5 minutes on each side, Once the eggplant appears tender and both sides have golden brown color, remove from the oven and wrap loosely in foil to steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Unwrap and peel the eggplant skin away (eggplant should measure about 1 cup)
- Place eggplant in a blender with nut milk, nutritional yeast, minced garlic, spices, flour and 2 tablespoons green chilils. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and warm over medium to medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly – about 5 minutes (the longer it cooks the thicker it will become). Add the remaining 2 tablespoons green chilis.
- Once hot and thickened, remove from heat and stir in drained salsa. Pour into a serving dish and top with a little smoked paprika and hot sauce for added flavor.
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $4.99!
This post was written by GreenAdmin