- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 servings of Green Zone Homemade Tomato Sauce (see blog for recipe)
- 3-4 zucchini, thinly sliced long ways
- 1 small can black olives (2.25 oz can)
- 3 portabello mushroom caps, scraped, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 small onion
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Optional: Daiya brand Vegan Mozzerella cheese for topping
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Make tofu ricotta. Combine all ricotta ingredients together in bowl and mash with potato masher until ricotta cheese consistency. This can also be done with your hands.
- Make mushroom filling. In a medium skillet sprayed with non stick cooking spray over medium high heat, add garlic and onion. After translucent add mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add spinach, stir, remove from heat to let wilt.
- Pour about 1 cup tomato sauce into a 9×13-inch baking dish and line with thinly sliced zucchini. Spoon a thin layer of mushroom mixture to zucchini.
- Scoop small spoonfuls amounts of ricotta mixture over the mushroom mixture and gently spread into a thin layer. Spread on a layer of sauce and then top with more zucchini slices. Continue until all filling and zucchini are used up. The top layers should be the zucchini, ricotta cheese, sauce and mozzerrella (optional). Sprinkle black olives on top of cheese, and then cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more. The zucchini should be very easily pierced when cut with a knife. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $4.99!
This post was written by GreenAdmin