- 2 eggplants, sliced into 1/4-inch slices lengthwise (or 12 lasagna noodles, boiled)
- Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
LENTIL SAUCE MIXTURE
- 1 28-ounce jar favorite marinara sauce or homemade tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup rinsed and drained red lentils
- 1 12-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 lemons, juiced
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- optional: 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Set out two baking sheets and one large (9×13-inch or similar) baking dish.
- Generously salt eggplant slices on both sides and arrange in a colander in the sink to remove excess water for 15 minutes. (If using lasagna noodles, boil, drain and set aside.)
- Arrange slices on 1-2 baking sheets in an even layer. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- While eggplant is baking, add marinara sauce and water to a large saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Add lentils and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes until lentils are soft.
- In the meantime, make tofu ricotta. Add all ricotta ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse to combine. You want a semi-puréed mixture with bits of basil still intact. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Spread a thin layer of lentil marinara sauce into your baking dish. Then layer on a few pieces of eggplant.
- Spoon half of the ricotta filling over the eggplant slices and spread into an even layer. The layers should be: ricotta filling, marinara, optional: vegan cheese, eggplant noodles, repeat.
- Sprinkle the top with vegan parmesan cheese (optional) and cover with foil. Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes, then slice with a serrated or very sharp knife, and serve with additional vegan parmesan cheese and fresh basil (optional).
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $14.95!
This post was written by Admin