• 2 cups water
• 1 cup green lentils
• 2 Tbsp olive oil or non-stick cooking spray
• 1/2 onion minced (plus more for serving)
• 1 1/2 cups finely shredded/grated carrots
• 2 Tbsp agave
• 1 1/2 tsp ground paprika
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 3/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce, plus more for serving
• 3 Tbsp water
• Cabbage, green onion, onion, cole slaw
1. Add water and lentils to a saucepan, boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 18 minutes, or until tender. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside.
2. When the lentils are almost finished, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil or non-stick cooking spray, onion, carrots and season with a pinch each salt and pepper. Stir to combine, and sauté for 4-5 minutes until onions are slightly browned.
3. Add cooked lentils, agave, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, BBQ sauce and 3 tblsp water.
4. Continue cooking the mixture over medium-low heat until completely warmed through and thick, stirring occasionally – about 5-10 minutes.
5. Recommended (but not essential): Scoop half of the mixture into a food processor and mix/pulse to mash some of the lentils and carrots together. This creates a more cohesive texture.
6. Top with cabbage, green onions or whatever you’d like!
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $14.95!
This post was written by Admin