Macros: 147 Calories per enchilada, 37g Carbs, 2g Fat, 4g Protein
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 7-10 corn tortillas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can organic tomato sauce
- 1 adobo chipotle, diced, + 1 tsp adobo sauce
- ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup or other sweetner (stevia)
- Red onion, diced
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Spray cooking sheet with nonstick spray and add the cubed butternut squash. Add a pinch of black pepper and stir to combine.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until all squash is fork tender. Set aside to cool and turn oven down to 350 degrees F.
- While the squash is cooking prepare the sauce. Heat large skillet over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Once hot add the garlic and cook until translucent, stirring frequently, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Return pan to heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Salt for savory, more adobo for heat and more maple syrup for sweetness.
- Place same skillet as used earlier over medium heat, spray with nonstick spray. When hot add beans and enchilada ingredient spices.
- After the beans begin to bubble add the cooked butternut squash and ¼ cup of enchilada sauce. Stir to coat.
- Cover the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds to make tortillas more pliable.
- Pour some sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 or similar baking dish and spread to coat the entire bottom.
- Place one tortilla in dish and fill generously with enchilada mix. Roll up and place seam down in dish. Continue to roll tortillas until your baking dish is full.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the rolled enchiladas and put a light spray of nonstick spray over the top (makes bare tortillas crispy).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until warmed throughout. Top with toppings and serve!
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $14.95!
This post was written by GreenAdmin