Servings: 2 Cal: 334 Carb: 62 Fat: 2 Protein: 19
Non-stick cooking spray
1 medium spaghetti squash
½ onion, diced
1 small package (8oz) of sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
½ bell pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 jalapeno, diced
2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped and cooked down on the stove (to make a sauce consistency)
¼-1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Spices: 1 teaspoon of each – black pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce (Bragg’s brand)
1 tablespoon hot sauce
Optional topping: Vegan shredded cheese, salsa
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Cut squash in half long ways and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Spray squash with non stick cooking spray then top with a dash of black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. Place squash in a 9×13 baking dish flat side down. Add a dash of water to bottom of pan (so it helps steam/cook the squash. Cook for 20-25 minutes (until top of squash starts to brown)
- In the meantime, heat a medium skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray on medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, sautee for 3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and bell pepper, sautee for another 3-5 minutes. Add beans, seasonings, tomato sauce, jalapenos, cilantro and stir.
- Remove baked squash from oven and let cook for a few minutes. “Fluff” each squash boat with a fork so the strands are released, leaving the squash in the shell. Fill each “boat” with half of the mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake boats for an additional 5-10 minutes
- Top with salsa (or whatever else you would like) and enjoy!
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $14.95!
This post was written by GreenAdmin