Servings: 4 Cal: 152 Carb: 26g Fat: 2g Protein: 8g
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 4 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 2 tablespoons of water. Mix, let sit 15 minutes)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spices (1 teaspoon of each) – chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Mash black beans in a bowl with a potato masher. Add onion, garlic and celery
- Whisk 1 tablespoon flour, water, Sriracha, and spices together in a separate small bowl. Stir this mixture into black bean mixture.
- Mix whole-wheat bread into bean mixture. Stir 3 tablespoons flour and flax egg into bean mixture until a sticky batter forms.
- Place mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes (or freezer for 15 minutes) to harden
- Spoon 4 equal servings of mixture onto baking sheet, shape into burgers
- Bake in 350 degree oven, 10 minutes on each side (this will cook them all the way through)
- Turn oven up to 450 degrees, cook for an additional 5-8 minutes on each side (this will crisp up the outside of burger)
*NOTE – Oven cooking time will vary depending on how thick you shape your burgers. Keep an eye on them!
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $14.95!
This post was written by GreenAdmin